Madeleine’s are one of those foods that can instantly transport me to another place. For me, they take me back to the first bite on arrival in Paris and fill me with hundreds of happy memories. These are a staple in any chef’s arsenal and even though they are simple if they can take you across borders without stepping foot on a plane then they’re my kind of food.
Photography by Rusne Draz @food _rusnedraz
French Madeleines with Poppy Seeds and Lemon Zest
- 100 g unsalted butter melted
- 130 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon juice + zest
- 1 tsp poppy seed
- Preheat oven to 190 °C
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs with a hand mixer while gradually adding the sugar. Increase the speed and whisk for another 3-4 minutes until thick and pale in colour.
- Fold in the flour mixture until combined. Add melted butter, poppy seeds,vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice in the batter and fold again.
- Brush the madeleine mould with butter and dust with the flower, this will prevent madeleines of sticking to the mould.
- Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of the batter into each mould.
- Bake until the edges are golden for about 12 minutes. Place on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy with coffee in the morning or at 4pm goûter!