Pickled red onions add flavour and pretty pink to any dish. Tangy and crunchy addition to Roasted Pumpkin salad ( see previous post). Pickling is a great way to use up any vegetables you have left over in the fridge. You can use any flavouring herbs and spices of your choice such as mustard seeds, ginger, chilies, whole peppercorns, garlic, rosemary, dill, thyme and list goes on 🙂 When possible I purchase organic locally grown vegetables and herbs from the local farmer’s market.
Photography by Rusne Draz @food _rusnedraz
Pickled Red Onions
- 3 red onions or any
- 250 ml hot water
- 120 ml apple cider vinegar
- 70 g brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1-2 tsp spice of your choice
- Combine water, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and sea salt in a jug, stir until sugar and salt dissolves.
- Peel and thinly slice the red onions, I use a mandoline slicer. Add sliced onions to a glass jar, I reuse various sizes of jars from condiments.
- Add spices of your choice and pour enough brine to completely submerge onions, leave to sit on the counter until brine cools down, cover and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.