This gorgeous veggie dish is a winner for me in so many ways. Not only does it look spectacular, the carrot top pesto means it is zero waste and vitamin packed whilst still maintaining 10/10 taste. It is so simple to prepare but pure goodness on a plate.
Photography by Rusne Draz @food _rusnedraz
The Ruling Romanesco with Carrot Top Pesto
- 1 medium head of romanesco
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
FOR CARROT TOP PESTO
- bunch of carrot top greens washed
- bunch of fresh herbs (basil, parsley, coriander)
- bunch of spinach
- 30 g pine nuts
- 1 large close of garlic minced
- 50 ml olive oil extra virgin
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 °C
- Cut romanesco vertically into 1 centimeter slabs season with the extra virgin olive oil and sea salt, place into a baking tray being sure not to overlap the pieces. Bake for about 18-18 minutes until golden brown but still firm enough to hold together.
- In a food processor, blitz carrot tops and other aromatics, spinach, pine nuts, garlic. Gradually add extra virgin olive oil to achieve desired pesto consistency, season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble romanesco on a sharing platter or individual plates and top with carrot top pesto.